With the application of Six Sigma, military leaders and process experts can help the U.S. Armed Forces improve the quality and efficiency of our national defense – while minimizing costs. If you are currently involved in Six Sigma or military process improvements and wish to enhance your expertise in this critical area, it’s important to have a thorough understanding of Six Sigma and how it can be applied to improve defense.
Why Six Sigma Works for the Military
The Six Sigma methodology is widely recognized as one of the most integral elements of a successful business strategy. There is simply no better way for a company to improve performance and optimize profitability than by implementing Six Sigma principles on a large scale. The benefits of Six Sigma are not limited to the world of private enterprise, however. In fact, the military has begun instituting Six Sigma on a broad scale and with impressive results.
Devising and coordinating ways to meet the needs of various military outfits and organizations is not an easy task. There are a variety of factors that must be taken into consideration when allocating military resources and funds. There are many ways in which the military differs from a traditional business, and it is not necessarily compatible with the type of fixed business model that might be suitable for a less complicated and variable situation.
Six Sigma military strategies, however, have the flexibility to adjust to the unique requirements of the U.S. Department of Defense. By utilizing proven principles to minimize waste, Six Sigma military applications can improve turnaround times, optimize inventories and improve readiness overall. The following are just a few examples of how Six Sigma military strategies led to substantial savings of both time and money:*
- Reduced wait time for the processing of new security clearances and upgrades by 70%, making security-approved personnel available much sooner and thereby greatly increasing overall productivity.
- Improved fuel efficiency and repair cycle time for military aircraft by 90%, resulting in annual savings of $117,200.
- Minimized the need for overtime and unplanned labor in the engineering process by 60%, leading to $400,000 in annual savings.
- Achieved $11 million in savings by increasing the accuracy of the reconciliation process between the cost of aviation fuel and the actual flying hours needed.
- Decreased the wait time for processing new contractors and civilian employees from days to hours, leading to a dramatic increase in productivity of nearly 7,680 man hours.
Give Yourself an Edge with Six Sigma Military Training
With so many proven cost-saving and efficiency-enhancing benefits, Six Sigma military applications are rapidly gaining broad recognition. By mastering this essential area of military personnel and resource management, you can improve your promotion prospects within the military or your opportunities for civilian employment with the Department of Defense.
The good news is that you can obtain Six Sigma training from a respected, internationally renowned educational institution no matter where you are with Villanova University’s 100% online certificate programs. Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the #1 university in the Master’s category/North region for nearly two decades, Villanova offers online Six Sigma certificate courses and certification to meet the needs of working professionals and military personnel stationed around the globe.
Earn Six Sigma Certificates and Certification 100% Online
Villanova offers a variety of acclaimed Six Sigma certificate courses and master certificate programs – as well as an advanced master certificate program – through a unique, video-based e-learning platform that is available 24/7. The flexible online courses impart valuable skills and knowledge while preparing students for industry-recognized Six Sigma Green Belt, Lean Sensei, Lean Black Belt and Lean Master Black Belt certifications. In fact, Villanova’s Six Sigma certification programs are the only ones available 100% online.
When you enroll in one of Villanova’s Six Sigma certificate courses or master certificate programs, you’ll enjoy a variety of benefits:
- View lectures via streaming video, MP4 files or CD-ROM wherever and whenever it is convenient for you
- Learn from internationally renowned Lean Six Sigma experts, including George Eckes
- Communicate with your instructors and fellow classmates through shared virtual whiteboards, two-way voice over IP (VOIP), live chat rooms, instant messaging, email and message boards
- Participate in weekly live interactive sessions
- Complete your coursework, tests and certification exams at your convenience, 100% online
- Earn a framed certificate of achievement upon completion of each course and master certificate program, and add the prestige of Villanova University to your résumé
In addition, Villanova offers exclusive savings to active-dutyservicemembers, Reservists, Guardsmen and veterans, as well as military spouses and dependents. If you belong to any of these groups, you are eligible to save 15% on any individual certificate course or 5% on Villanova’s already specially priced master certificate programs.
Improve your job performance and expand your career options quickly and effectively with Villanova’s online Master Certificate in Six Sigma program. Classes start monthly, so you can be on your way to becoming a Six Sigma military expert in a matter of weeks!
Request more information on Six Sigma and the military.
* NOVACES Case Studies, accessed August 11, 2010.